Guelph Community Backpack Project Coordinator
Lakeside HOPE House
Lakeside HOPE House provides tangible, compassionate assistance and care to those in the Guelph community through immediate relief and ongoing support. Our goal is to foster a greater level of independence by delivering front-line services and support that allow our community members to maintain their dignity and choice. This is accomplished through a diverse range of programs and services including a choice-based, bucks-based Food and Clothing Market, HOPE Stylin’ Haircuts, a community Edu-Kitchen, a Back-to- School Backpack Program, a daily Café, a Christmas Hamper program, and other programs to all Guelph residents (including children) living in poverty.
The Backpack Project Coordinator will work directly with the Community Projects Lead to plan and execute the Guelph city-wide backpack program which is coordinated by HOPE House and provides over 1,100 backpacks to students in need across the city. The participant will work with families living in poverty to ensure that all families in need in the Guelph area receive a fully stocked backpack. The Backpack Coordinator will also liaise with other city agencies to form one centralized database list of recipients to ensure the efficiency of the program. This hands on role will provide a good picture of what working with families living in poverty looks like and offers a great learning opportunity while also filling an essential role in the Guelph community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- collect and organize community member applications
- work with the Guelph Neighbourhood Support Coalition to coordinate city-wide effort
- sort and organize and order supplies for the assembly of all backpacks
- participate in developing marketing materials
- collect and organize volunteers for the execution of the project
- coordinate all the assembly and distribution of the backpacks
- coordinate the clean up and inventory of left over items (if applicable)
- Be of legal working age in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred.
- Position: Guelph Community Backpack Project Coordinator
- Duration: Position begins June 10th 2019 until September 6th 2019 for a total of 200 hours. Hours can be flexible.
June – average 10 hours per week
July – average 10-15 hours per week
Aug – average 20-40 hours per week
Sept – average 10 hours
- Some volunteer supervision
To apply please send resume and CV to Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org